- Public Works
- Trash & Recycling
- Bulky Item Pickup
Bulky Item Pickup
Bulky items are items too large to fit in your automated container or dumpster, such as old furniture, mattresses, and appliances. Items include sofas, rugs, lamps, stoves, refrigerators, chairs, desks, as well as bundles of cardboard or palm fronds.
Note that electronic waste such as televisions and computers is not considered a bulky item. Find information on proper disposal of electronic waste.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Christmas trees are 100% recyclable. Athens Services will collect holiday trees from your curbside on your street’s regular pickup day from the day after Christmas through the second week of January each year. Trees are delivered to various landfills to be used as mulch or cover material or to Athens American Organics composting facility in Victorville.
How to prepare trees for pickup:
- Remove stands, ornaments, lights and tinsel.
- Place Christmas trees next to your regular trash containers.
- Trees over 6 feet in length must be cut in half.
- Trees with flocking or fire retardants ARE NOT acceptable.
- If you miss the date for recycling, please cut up your tree and place it in your yard waste container(s).
Before you dispose of an unwanted appliance, you may qualify for a rebate from your utility company. For more information, please contact the applicable utility company.
How to Schedule Bulky Items for Pick-up
Please follow these steps:
- Visit Athens Services' website or call Athens Services at 626-336-6100 during business hours at least 24-hours before your next collection day. Translation services are available;
- Provide Athens Services with your address and cross street, pick-up day, and list of items for removal. (Note: For numerous items Athens Services may require more than one pick-up day for removal. Athens may also provide you with additional instructions.)
- Place bulky items out for pick-up by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Items must be stored out of public view prior to 24-hours before your collection day.
Following these guidelines will help keep our streets clean and safe! Please help keep Monterey Park beautiful!