Summer Reading Program Read books, win prizes, have fun!
The Children’s Summer Reading Program Registration starts May 30! Children ages 0-12 can participate by signing up at the Children’s Desk to receive a log to keep track of the books they read or listen to over the summer. Throughout the summer kids receive prizes for the time that they read. National research has shown that children who read at least six books over the summer score higher in both reading and math when they return to school in the fall. This program continues through July 31 and also features weekly activities for the whole family including movies, game nights, storytimes, puppet shows, musical performances and magicians. All programs and activities are completely free of charge. Come into the library to pick up a flyer, or check the library website at www.montereypark.ca.gov/library for more details.
May 1, 2017, 3:00 pm in the Friends Room.
Marvelous Monday in May will celebrate Cinco de Mayo! The program is for children ages 5-11 and will last 45 minutes to an hour. Caregivers must be with children at all times.
Thursday, May 4 at 11:00 am in the Friends Room
Jedis-in-training are invited to join us for Star Wars themed activities and sensory play. Each program will last 45 minutes to an hour and children must be accompanied by an adult. Please wear play clothes that can get dirty. For infants to preschool aged children.
Thursday, May 11 at 3:00 pm in the Friends Room
Get creative at the library and create colorful 3D “paintings” using yarn! For ages 5-12.
Children’s Computer Classes
Wednesday, May 10 at 3:30 pm, Computer Lab Monthly computer classes for 6 - 11 year olds that will teach kids the basic computer skills they need to complete homework assignments. The program will last 45 minutes to an hour and be held in the Computer Lab.
Thursday, May 18 at 3:00 pm, Friends Room
Our monthly tween programs are just for children 8 - 12 years of age. This month will feature a Paper Engineering Challenge. The program will last 45 minutes to an hour and snacks will be provided for children.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program
To participate, parents can:
1. Sign up at the Children’s Desk of the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library to receive a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading log and tote bag.
2. Read together and write the titles on the reading log. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare, or books that are read by others to your child also count!
3. After each 100 books, bring your reading log to the library to:
• Place your name on our giant Rainbow of Readers Board.
• Collect your next reading log.
• Receive a prize. Prizes include magnets, pencils, finger puppets, books, flashcards and other small incentives.