Thursday, February 2 at 11 am, Friends Room
Explore process-based art and sensory play through a new series of programs for infants through preschool. Each program will last 45 minutes to an hour and will be located in
the Friends Room. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Please wear play clothes that can get dirty, as some activities may be messy.
Marvelous Monday is a monthly story and craft program highlighting a special holiday in the month. Marvelous Monday in February will celebrate National Kite Day! The program is for children ages 5-11 and will last 45 minutes to an hour. Caregivers must be with children at all times.
February 6 at 3 pm, Friends Room
Children’s Computer Class
Wednesday, February 8 at 3:30 pm, Computer Lab
Monthly computer class for children 6 - 11 years old that will teach kids the basic computer skills they need to complete homework assignments. The program will last 45 minutes to an hour in the Computer Lab.
Get creative at the Library! Each month we will hold a program exploring different materials and artistic techniques. The program is for children ages 5-12 and no registration
Thursday, February 9 at 3 pm, Friends Room
Tweens (ages 8-12 ) will discover how to produce a short Stopmotion Movie. Light refreshments and supplies will be provided for children. The program will last 45 minutes to
Stopmotion Challenge Tween Program
Thursday, February 16 at 3 pm, Friends Room
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten ProgramThe library runs a year round reading program for children who have not yet entered kindergarten. The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program encourages parents and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their child before he or she enters school – a goal experts say helps prepare children to be successful readers once they enter school. Reading to children helps to develop important literacy skills that provide a solid foundation for learning and academic success. This program has no end date except when a child enters school. For further information, please call the Children’s Desk at (626) 307-1358.
To participate, parents can:
1. Sign up at the Children’s Desk of the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library to receive a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading log and tote bag.
2. Read together and write the titles on the reading log. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare, or books that are read by others to your child also count!
3. After each 100 books, bring your reading log to the library to:
• Place your name on our giant Rainbow of Readers Board.
• Collect your next reading log.
• Receive a prize. Prizes include magnets, pencils, finger puppets, books, flashcards and other small incentives.