News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/10/2021 4:15:51 PM to 7/1/2021 12:00:04 AM.

News Flash

City of MPK Citywide News

Posted on: March 10, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Housing is Key: California’s COVID-19 Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program

MPK News Release-State of California COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Income eligible tenants in need of rental/and or utility assistance, both for arrears and future payment, can apply for the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program. Funding for this program is provided by federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021.  

Applications for the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Applications must include all required information, along with necessary verification items. Once an application has been successfully received, both the landlord and tenant will be notified about the application status.  

The state will first review and commit funds to applicants who are eligible and whose income is at or below 50% of area median income (AMI) to ensure those most in need receive assistance.  

How Does the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program Work?  

Unpaid Rent

Landlords who participate in the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program can get reimbursed for 80% of an eligible tenant’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent during that specific time period.  

Eligible tenants whose landlords choose not to participate in the program may apply on their own and receive 25% of unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Paying this 25% of unpaid rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep tenants in their home under the extended eviction protections in SB 91.  

Prospective Rent

Eligible tenants can receive prospective rental assistance equal to 25% of their monthly rent. Combined with the assistance available for unpaid rent, prospective assistance will help tenants stay housed once the eviction protections in SB 91 expire on June 30, 2021.  

Utility Assistance

Eligible tenants may also receive assistance for utility arrears and prospective payments. Utility arrears accumulated from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021 will be compensated at 100% of cost, limited to a total of 12 months.  

What Can I Do to Get Ready?

  1. Landlords, click on this link to review program requirements and documentation required. 
  2. Tenants, click on this link to review program requirements and documentation required.
  3. Monitor the California COVID-19 Rent Relief website for updated information.

Monterey Park City Hall is located at 320 W. Newmark Avenue, Monterey Park, CA 91754. City hall is closed to the public until further notice. For more information about other resident and small business owner programs and city COVID-19 updates, please visit  

Media Contact 
Deborah Niblick, Senior Librarian

 Subscribe to City of Monterey Park news flashes at 

PDF version