The City of Monterey Park will host a press conference on Thursday, May 5 at 12 noon in the city hall council chamber to announce plans for the city’s centennial celebration. Some of the upcoming centennial events to include:
• Play Days Carnival, May 12-15, Barnes Park.
• Sister Cities Dinner, May 13, 6 p.m., Ocean Star Restaurant, $50 per person.
• Historical Monument and Time Capsule Ceremony, May 14, 9 a.m., city hall.
• Play Days Parade, May 14, 11 a.m., Garvey Avenue, Downtown Monterey Park.
• Art and Culture Gala Evening, May 15, 7-10 p.m., East Los Angeles College Ingalls Auditorium.
All of these events will feature food and entertainment, and are family friendly.
Monterey Park was incorporated in 1916 when residents voted the city into existence by a vote of 455 to 16 in order to avoid becoming a sewage farm for Alhambra and South Pasadena. City highlights include the Cascades waterfall, the El Encanto building and a diverse population of over 60,000 residents. Monterey Park City Hall is located at 320 W. Newmark Avenue, Monterey Park, CA 91754. For more city information please visit www.MontereyPark.ca.gov.
Dan Costley, Recreation and Community Services Director