Home-Generated Sharps Disposal

 Don't throw your used sharps in the trash, down the toilet or the drain!

What are home-generated sharps?
Sharps are hypodermic needles, pen needles, intravenous needles, lancets, and other devices that are used to penetrate the skin for the delivery of medications derived from a household including a multifamily residence or household.

State law makes it illegal to dispose of sharps waste by putting it in your household trash. So how should you dispose of it? 
Place your used sharps in a container that does not leak, break or puncture. It must be taped, sealed, and labeled "sharps." If you do not have a container, you can pick one up "free" of charge from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works at 900 S. Fremont Avenue, Annex Building, 3rd Floor, Alhambra (closed on Fridays).

When the container is about 3/4 full, take it to any of the County's designated collection sites or a Los Angeles County Mobile Household Hazardous Waste Collection events, the City of Los Angeles' permanent S.A.F.E. Centers or a designated Public Works Clinic.

Commercial-generated sharps are not accepted at the collection sites listed below:

* Los Angeles area: Glendale
                              4600 Colorado Boulevard
                              Los Angeles, CA 90029
                              Hours of Operations:
                              Saturday and Sundays, 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.

                              Washington Boulevard
                              2649 E. Washington Boulevard
                              Los Angeles, CA 90021
                              Hours of Operation:
                              Saturdays and Sundays, 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The County of Los Angeles also offers a mail-back program for elderly and disabled residents. The mail-back program is ONLY for elderly and disabled residents.

To find out when the next Household Hazardous Waste Collection will be held or to request a mail-back container, call the Los Angeles Hotline at 1(888) CLEAN LA or (888) 253-2652.