Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
More information coming soon for the Fall 2019 CERT class.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program is an all-risk, all hazard training course for members of the community. This valuable course is designed to help you protect yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your neighborhood in an emergency situation.
It is about readiness, people helping people, rescuer safety and doing the greatest good for the greatest number. CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference. While people will respond to others in need without the training, one goal of the CERT Program is to help our residents do so effectively and efficiently without being placed in unnecessary danger.
Spring 2019 CERT Classes
The spring 2019 CERT class will be four consecutive eight hour sessions which will include a disaster simulation drill. The training course is free to residents of Monterey Park and consists of:
- Utilities: Learning how and where to turn off gas meters, electricity, and water service if leaking or broken pipes are detected.
- Putting out small fires using an extinguisher.
- Certification on CPR and first aid.
- Helping triage victims by controlling bleeding, treating for shock and providing basic medical aid.
- Organizing yourself and volunteers to be effective towards aiding victims.
- Collecting disaster intelligence to support first responder efforts.
Please complete an application and submit via email if you are interested. You will then be contacted when a class program has been scheduled. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Captain Justin Birrell via email or at 626-307-1271.