Starting a Home Occupation Business

Finally getting the business of your dreams off the ground? Monterey Park would like to help your business prosper. Your success makes our city a success.


Home occupations are defined as businesses that operate out of the home and are restricted to office use only. Examples are businesses that operate with a vehicle and maintained with a Monterey Park business / mailing address, such as a gardener, handyman, etc. Every person who starts a business must have a business license and an Annual Home Occupation Inspection Report Form. Our goal is to help you get that form and license as quickly and as easily as possible.

Applying to Be a Home Business

Step 1

Before you can start a business, check with the Planning Division of the Development Services Department as to whether your business conforms to the specific zone in which you wish to operate (each area of the City is zoned for a specific use such as retail, industrial, etc.) and whether the type of business you wish to operate is allowed. Documents that will be necessary when visiting the Planning Division are:

  • Proof of residence: Grant Deed or property tax bill and a picture I.D. (i.e. driver's license);
  • If you rent / lease the property, you must provide the lease contract with signed Owner's Approval Form (form available from the Planning Division) and a copy of his/her property tax bill or Grant Deed. This is required to verify owner approval for use of his/her property as a home occupation. A picture I.D. is required (i.e. driver's license).
  • You will be required to sign a declaration indicating the home will only be used as an office you cannot have any stock-in-trade.

The Planning Division will then set up a Home Occupation Inspection Application Form and require an inspection fee (payable at the cashier's counter).

Step 2

Once paid, return to the Planning Division with the paperwork and receipt to schedule an on-site inspection. If you pass the inspection, you will be given a copy of the Annual Home Occupation Inspection Report form with the signed approval. If you do not pass, the form will be returned marked denied with comments indicating the corrections needed. After corrections have been made, you must schedule a re-inspection (at no charge). Upon passing, the Planning Department will give you a form and direct you to the Business License Division to apply for your actual business license.

Step 3

Take your paperwork and the Licensing Form to the Business License Counter to receive a Business License Application. Please have the following information with you:

  • Owner's social security number
  • Driver's license
  • Resale Number (State Board of Equalization Number)
  • Contractor's license number (if applicable)
  • License plate number of vehicle (if applicable)
  • Emergency telephone number for police and fire


After the completed business license application has been submitted, payment of the business license fee will be required. The forms will then be evaluated and processed by city staff and a business license mailed to you within 15 to 30 days. You cannot operate your business until an approved Annual Home Occupation Inspection Report form and business license have been received.

Upon receipt of the business license, please post it in the office area of your home.