The Planning Division provides staff support to the City Council, Planning Commission and Design Review Board formulating and administering plans, programs, design guidelines and legislation for guiding the city’s development in a manner consistent with the community’s social, economic and environmental goals.
In accordance with State Law, maintain a comprehensive and defensible General Plan which is adopted by city council and accurately reflects long and short-range community goals and environmental concerns relating to Land Use, Housing, Circulation, Safety, Open Space, Noise, Design, Economic Development and Conservation.
Administer and coordinate city, State and regional land use regulations and other legislation to ensure developments that are consistent with the city’s standards, policies and plans which enhance the quality and character of the community.
Provide Technical assistance to developers and citizens in a manner which facilitates their compliance with development standards and regulations with a minimum of inconvenience.
In 2019, the city updated the Land Use Element of the General Plan, which resulted in changes to allowed land uses and residential and commercial intensities.
Now the City will be updating the Housing and Safety Elements and creating a new Environmental Justice element. The City of Monterey Park want to hear from you! Checkout MPKhousingupdate.com, the website provides all the information you will need to stay up to date and provide feedback on the project, including upcoming community workshops, City public meetings, reports and resources, and other opportunities.
Educate the community about sustainability issues and environmentally conscious practices.
- Landscaping Guide (PDF)
- Sustainability in Monterey Park (PDF)
- San Gabriel Valley Regional Bicycle Master Plan (PDF)
- Climate Action Plan (PDF)
Looking for more ways to reduce energy usage and energy costs in your home or business?
The City of Monterey Park participates in the San Gabriel Valley Energy Wise Partnership (SGVEWP), in partnership with the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments, Southern California Edison, and Southern California Gas Company. The SGVEWP helps the City and its residents and business owners reduce their energy usage and costs. You can find out more about the SGVEWP and find out more about you can do at San Gabriel Valley Energy Wise.
New Development Projects
Goodview's Residential Development
- Goodviews Project History and FAQ, April 26, 2021
- Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) - 1688 W. Garvey Avenue
- Technical Appendices - DEIR - 1688 W, Garvey Avenue
- Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) - 1688 W. Garvey Avenue
- 1688 W. Garvey Ave Specific Plan
Whitmore Villas 63-Unit Condominium Development
- Notice of Determination - Whitmore Villas
- Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigative Negative Declaration - 126 North New Avenue
- Whitmore Villas Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration - Vol I
- Whitmore Villas Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration - Vol II - Technical Appendices
- Jason Moquin, Planning Manager
- Jeffrey Rimando, Assistant Planner
- Kevin Tan, Planning Intern
- John Obing, Planning Intern