Elected: 2013 (First term of office per Ordinance No. 2096).
Currently serves on the following committees and boards as a city representative:
- League of California Cities
- Alternate for the Independent Cities Association
- Alternate for San Gabriel Valley Economic Partnership
Background and Present Circumstances
Peter Chan and his wife Jenny have lived in Monterey Park for over 40 years. They have two adult sons who were born and live in Southern California. Peter is a successful businessman, and President of Peter Chan and Associates, an accounting, bookkeeping and tax service. He has been President of Dynasty Produce and Trading, an importing and wholesale company of fruit and produce.
Peter Chan was born in China, grew up in Hong Kong. He attended La Salle College there. In the U.S., Peter attended the University of Wisconsin, and received his Bachelor’s degree there in Business Administration.
Community Participation, Monterey Park
- For many years Peter has been a volunteer and participant in the activities of his community of Monterey Park.
- Peter was first elected to the Monterey Park City Council in 2013, and in 2015 Peter was appointed the Mayor of Monterey Park. His appointment as Mayor expired in 2016.
- Peter is a former member of the Blue Ribbon Budget Committee for the City of Monterey Park
- Peter was Chairman of the Fire Citizen Committee for the City of Monterey Park and fought to ensure the Fire Department was not contracted to the County of Los Angeles.
- Peter is the former President and past Treasurer of the Monterey Park Library Foundation.
- Peter was on the Board of Trustees for the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library for two 6-year terms.
- Peter was Chair of the Library Building Committee, and a member of the Association of Library Trustees and Commissioners, and received the Board of Trustee of the Year award in 2005 from the California Association of Library Trustees and Commissioners (CALTAC).
- Peter was a former Co-Captain for the Neighborhood Watch Program in his own Monterey Park neighborhood.
- Peter assisted the Monterey Park Police Department in producing a performance concerning domestic violence, and helped the Monterey Park Police Department to produce three videos for police service announcements.
Other Community Activities
- Advisory Board Member of the Asia Pacific Business Institute at Cal State University, L.A.
- Advisor to the Business Administrative Department, East Los Angeles College (ELAC).
- Member of US Army Community Relations, Los Angeles.
- Former Board Member of United Way, San Gabriel Valley.
- Former President and Board Member of the Family Counseling Service of the West San Gabriel Valley.
- Former Monterey Park Democratic Club President and treasurer.
- Hosted his own radio talk show host from1990 to 1994, discussing political and business events.
- For six years wrote a column for the San Gabriel Journal, the popular “Peter’s Corner.”
- Peter has his own special love for the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), and still is a referee for many soccer games presently.