With temperatures rising, the City of Monterey Park reminds residents to take precautions to stay safe during hot summer days.
To help residents stay cool during times of extreme heat, the Langley Senior Center and the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library are activated as Cooling Centers when the heat index is 95 degrees or higher and predicted for two or more consecutive days.
Langley Senior Center is located at 400 W. Emerson Avenue, Monterey Park, CA 91754 and may be reached at 626-307-1395. Hours when activated are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library is located at 318 S. Ramona Avenue Monterey Park, CA 91754 and may be reached at 626-307-1366. Library hours are Tuesday and Wednesday, 12:00 to 8:00 p.m.; and Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
In addition to visiting Cooling Centers, residents are encouraged to follow these guidelines on hot days:
- Avoid the sun – Stay indoors from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. when the Sun’s rays are strongest.
- Drink plenty of fluids – Drink 2 to 4 glasses of water every hour during times of extreme heat. Sweating removes salt and minerals from your body, so replenish these nutrients with low sugar fruit juices or sports drinks during exercise or when working outside.
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol can cause dehydration. Drinking alcohol within 24 hours of working in the heat can increase the risk of heat illness.
- Pace yourself – Reduce physical activity and avoid exercising outdoors during peak heat hours.
- Wear appropriate clothing – Wear wide-brimmed hat and light-colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors.
- Monitor those at high risk – Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning. Infants and children up to 4 years old and people 65 years and older are at the highest risk of heat-related illnesses.
- Keep pets safe – Heat also affects your pets, keep them indoors or if they will be outside, make sure they have plenty of water and a shaded area to help them keep cool. Never leave your pet alone in a vehicle, even if the window is cracked or open.
City Manager’s Office
Subscribe to City of Monterey Park news flashes at www.montereypark.ca.gov/notifyme.