The Monterey Park Police Department wants to warn you about telephone scammers that are pretending to be government employees. Callers say they are from Social Security, and may say there is a problem with your Social Security number or threaten to arrest you unless you pay a fine or fee with cash, retail gift cards, pre-paid debit cards, or wire transfers.
Social Security will never:
- Threaten you with benefit suspension, arrest, or other legal action unless you pay a fine or fee.
- Promise a benefit increase or other assistance in exchange for payment.
- Require payment by retail gift card, cash, wire transfer, internet currency, or prepaid debit card.
- Demand secrecy from you in handling a Social Security-related problem; or
- Send official letters or reports containing personally identifiable information via email.
If you receive a call like this, hang up. Do not provide any personal information or send money.
Monterey Park PD encourages you to report Social Security scams using their dedicated online form, at https://oig.ssa.gov. Please share this information with your friends and family to help spread awareness about Social Security scams.
Watch Commander, Monterey Park Police Department
Subscribe to City of Monterey Park news flashes at www.MontereyPark.ca.gov/NotifyMe.