The Monterey Park Police Department has recently investigated cases of theft by false pretense. This fraud has occurred when the victim received a telephone call from a male or female suspect posing as an employee of the City of Monterey Park Water Department. The suspects have told the victim that they were in jeopardy of having their water shut off unless they called a toll-free number and establish a payment plan. If the call was made to the number provided, an official-sounding person requested payment using pre-paid cash cards to clear the account.
The City of Monterey Park does not make solicitation phone calls for utility payments. The City of Monterey Park does not accept pre-paid cash cards for utility payments.
Tips to prevent phone fraud:
- Never reveal personal information, credit card numbers, PIN numbers or account numbers to anyone.
- Never call back the number provided by an unknown caller.
- Always ask for the name, agency, department and business number.
- Never send payment to anyone using cash cards or pre-paid cards unless the caller’s identity is verified. Most businesses do not accept payment to settle accounts using these methods.
- If you have questions, call the police non-emergency number in your area. Not all incidents are crimes, however the information is important.
If you suspect you may be a victim of this type of fraud and reside or own a business in the City of Monterey Park, please contact the Monterey Park Police Department at 626-573-1311. If you reside or own a business outside of the City of Monterey Park and suspect you have been a victim of this scheme please contact your local police department to report the crime.
Lieutenant Scott Wiese, Monterey Park Police Department