The next City of Monterey Park Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) session for spring 2018 will take place Thursday evenings from 6-10 p.m. on: April 12 & 26; May 24; and June 7, 14, 21 & 28.
CERT classes have customarily been held on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. However, for spring 2018, a Thursday evening class is being offered. The session is followed by a disaster simulation drill. The training course is free to residents of Monterey Park and consists of:
- Utilities - Learning how and where to turn off gas meters, electricity, and water service if leaking or broken pipes are detected
- Putting out small fires using an extinguisher
- Certification on CPR and First Aid
- Helping triage victims by controlling bleeding, treating for shock, and providing basic medical aid
- Organizing yourself and volunteers to be effective towards aiding victims and
- Collecting disaster intelligence to support first responder efforts.
Interested parties should complete an application which can be obtained on the city CERT webpage under the fire department tab. Submit via email or turn in a hard copy to Fire Station 61 front office no later than March 1, 2018. For more information, please contact Captain Justin Birrell at email@example.com or 626-307-1271. Station 61 is located next door to city hall at 350 W. Newmark Avenue. Monterey Park, CA 91754.
Captain Justin Birrell, Monterey Park Fire Department