August 1, 2020
Rio Hondo College, Parking Lot A
3600 Workman Mill Road
Whittier, CA 90601
Household Hazardous and E-Waste Collection-Whittier
Saturday, August 1, 2020
Dispose of your motor oil, household paint, cleaners, pesticides, batteries, computers, cell phones and more at this LA County collection event.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events, operated by the County and Sanitation Districts, are one-day, drive-through collection events where residents are invited to drive to a specific location to drop off their household hazardous waste and electronic waste (e-waste). There is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per trip.
The events are scheduled in different areas throughout the County. They are free, open to all residents of LA County and are usually held on a Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. No appointment is needed.
How to prepare for an HHW collection event:
- Pack HHW in cardboard boxes so that it does not spill during transport. Be prepared to leave your containers and boxes.
- Put like chemicals together. Separate unlike chemicals.
- Label materials that are not in their original containers.
- Make sure containers are not leaking and lids are tightly sealed.
- Put your boxes in your car trunk, away from passengers during transport. Remove all other items from the trunk.
- At the event, trained personnel will ask you to remain in your car while they remove the HHW from your trunk.
What they will NOT accept:
- HHW and e-waste from businesses.
- Explosives, ammunition, and radioactive materials.
- Trash and tires.
- White goods (refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, etc.).
- Controlled substances.
What happens to items collected?
Paint is reused for anti-graffiti. Motor oil is recycled into lubricants, marine diesel fuel, supplemental fuel, or re-refined motor oil. Residual HHW is carefully packed into special drums for proper disposal.
For more information and a calendar of collection events, please visit the LA County Department of Public Works website at http://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/hhw/collection.cfm.