LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (LAX) South Complex Inboard Runway 25R/7L
Reopens in Shortened Configuration May 25, 2017 – August 18, 2017
The South Complex Inboard Runway 25R/7L is scheduled to reopen on May 25, 2017 at approximately 3 pm after being closed for 36 days to accommodate Runway Safety Area (RSA) construction. Additional RSA work is still being performed after the reopening, requiring Runway 25R/7L to be in a shortened configuration from May 25, 2017 through August 18, 2017. Thereafter, the RSA construction on Runway 25R/7L will be complete and the runway will be available in full-length configuration.
The reopening of Runway 25R/7L in a shortened configuration will allow LAX to utilize all four runways for departure and arrival operations. The shortened runway will accommodate most aircraft operations, but certain heavy aircraft operating long-range flights may not able to depart on the shortened runway and may need to use alternative runways, such as the south outboard runway 25L/7R or the north inboard runway 24L/6R, for departures.
LAX will continue to conduct Over-Ocean Operations between 12 AM and 6:30 AM during this period as weather and operational conditions permit.
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (LAX) DEVIATION FROM OVER-OCEAN OPERATIONS
JUNE 12, 2017 THROUGH JUNE 15, 2017 12 AM - 6:30AM
LAX will temporarily deviate from Over-Ocean Operations for four nights (12 AM – 6:30 AM) from Monday, June 12th through Thursday, June 15th, due to the closure of south outboard runway 25L/7R for runway maintenance and assessment of runway markings.
Whenever possible, the FAA transitions LAX air traffic flow to Over-Ocean Operations from 12 AM to 6:30 AM, wherein aircraft arrive and depart over the ocean to minimize noise disturbance to the communities directly east of the airport. During this traffic flow, the south runway complex is utilized primarily for departures while the north runway complex is utilized primarily for arrivals.
The closure of Runway 25L/7R requires Aircraft Design Group VI (A380 and B747-800) aircraft to depart on Runway 24L/6R on the north complex, which would conflict with aircraft arrivals on the same runway complex during Over-Ocean Operations. Therefore, the FAA plans to deviate temporarily from this traffic flow and maintain air traffic in Westerly Operations during these three nights. As a result, persons living near the airport may notice a change in aircraft flight activity and noise.
FAA SoCal Metroplex Public Information Workshops - January and February 2017
The City invited the public to come learn about changes in flight paths occurring in March and April 2017 that will upgrade the existing system to satellite-based technology. A series of public information workshops and Internet-based webinars were conducted in January and February to provide a variety of information on the Metroplex project. The public information workshops were an open-house format where the public can attend anytime during the posted times to learn about the project. FAA representatives provided a variety of information on the project and were on site to answer questions. Check out FAA webpage (external site) or click to see the letter and flyers from FAA regarding these workshops.
FAA SoCal Metroplex Public Information Workshop Held In Monterey Park
The FAA SoCal Metroplex public information workshop session #2 was held on January 24, 2017 at Monterey Park Langley Senior Center in the Main Room. For up-to-date information, please review the project website (external site).
FAA SoCal Metroplex Community Engagement
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) signed a Finding of No Significant Impact and (FONSI) Record of Decision (ROD) for the Southern California Metroplex project on August 31, 2016. This is the FAA’s final decision, and it enables the agency to move forward with implementing the project, which will replace dozens of existing conventional air traffic control procedures with new satellite-based procedures. The project is being implemented in phases between November 2016 and April 2017. FAA is planning community outreach in support of the implementation of the project. The outreach will consist of both public information briefings and internet-based webinars. Click here for more information.
Monterey Park Held Public Meeting Concerning Airplane Noise in November
On November 10, 2016, the City of Monterey Park held a public meeting to discuss the issue of airplane noise and low flying aircrafts. Thank you to those who came out and expressed their comments or concerns. The PowerPoint presentation slides can be viewed by clicking here.
Additional Resources and Links
- LAX noise management re: LAX info, filing complaints, monthly reports, etc. (external website)
- LAX Internet Flight Tracking re: Live flight tracking information (external website)
- Statistical Update on Extended Downwind Approach - March 2017
- Letter from LAX Community Noise Roundtable to Congressman LoBiondo re: HR 598 (PDF), March 29, 2017
- Airplane Noise Public Meeting Presentation - November 10, 2016
- Metroplex Community Outreach Notice (PDF) - from FAA for October & November 2016
- "Metroplex - An Update on SoCal Airspace Modernization" (PDF) from the October 12, 2016 LAX Roundtable Meeting
- Letter from FAA to MPK dated 9/1/16 (PDF) re: SoCal Metroplex Finding as of September 1, 2016
- LAX noise presentation (video) from the July 20, 2016 public meeting
- at the September 3, 2014 City Council meeting
- LAX slide presentation (PDF) on flight patterns and airplane noise from the September 3, 2014 City Council meeting.
- MPK-TV YouTube page (external site). from 1998-99 town hall meetings with the FAA, etc. on our
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) has previously provided an overview of the number of flights that extend over Monterey Park and the altitude. View statistics on flights online.
Community Noise Roundtable
LAWA provides a public forum to express concerns about airport operations at Community Noise Roundtable meetings that are held at the airport on a bimonthly basis. Visit the roundtable website for meeting info, agendas, recaps and presentation and correspondence documents.
Upcoming Roundtable Meetings:
Past Roundtable Meetings:
- TBD. Please check back later.
- Special Meeting: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 7 p.m. Minutes (PDF)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) Presentation Slides (external site)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)