LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (LAX) DEVIATION FROM OVER-OCEAN OPERATIONS
MARCH 20 AND 22, 2017 FROM 12 AM - 6:30 AM
The FAA normally transitions LAX air traffic flow to Over-Ocean Operations from 12 AM to 6:30 AM, wherein aircraft arrive and depart over the ocean to minimize noise disturbance to the communities directly east of the airport. During this traffic flow, the south runway complex is reserved for departures while the north runway complex is reserved for arrivals.
The closure of Runway 25L/7R limits the available runways from which Aircraft Design Group VI aircraft (A380 and B748) can depart at LAX and requires these aircraft then to depart on Runway 24L/6R on the north complex, which would be in conflict with aircraft landing on same runway complex during Over-Ocean Operations. Recently revised FAA policies impose stricter aircraft safety and separation requirements for this traffic flow configuration, essentially confining most departures on the south complex and most arrivals on the north complex. Therefore, the FAA cannot safely and efficiently operate in Over-Ocean Operations during this runway closure and will need to deviate temporarily from this traffic flow and maintain air traffic in Westerly Operations during these two nights. As a result, persons living near the airport may notice a change in aircraft flight activity and associated noise.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this temporary situation.
FAA SoCal Metroplex Public Information Workshops - January and February 2017
Come learn about changes in flight paths occurring in March and April 2017 that will upgrade the existing system to satellite-based technology. A series of public information workshops and Internet-based webinars will be available in January and February to provide a variety of information on the Metroplex project. The public information workshops will be an open-house format where the public can attend anytime during the posted times to learn about the project. FAA representatives will provide a variety of information on the project and will be available to answer questions. Check out FAA webpage (external site) or click to see the letter and flyers from FAA regarding these workshops.
FAA SoCal Metroplex Public Information Workshop Held In Monterey Park
The FAA SoCal Metroplex public information workshop session #2 was held on January 24, 2017 at Monterey Park Langley Senior Center in the Main Room. For up-to-date information, please review the project website (external site).
FAA SoCal Metroplex Community Engagement
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) signed a Finding of No Significant Impact and (FONSI) Record of Decision (ROD) for the Southern California Metroplex project on August 31, 2016. This is the FAA’s final decision, and it enables the agency to move forward with implementing the project, which will replace dozens of existing conventional air traffic control procedures with new satellite-based procedures. The project is being implemented in phases between November 2016 and April 2017. FAA is planning community outreach in support of the implementation of the project. The outreach will consist of both public information briefings and internet-based webinars. Click here for more information.
Monterey Park Held Public Meeting Concerning Airplane Noise in November
On November 10, 2016, the City of Monterey Park held a public meeting to discuss the issue of airplane noise and low flying aircrafts. Thank you to those who came out and expressed their comments or concerns. The PowerPoint presentation slides can be viewed by clicking here.
Additional Resources and Links
- LAX noise management re: LAX info, filing complaints, monthly reports, etc. (external website)
- LAX Internet Flight Tracking re: Live flight tracking information (external website)
- Airplane Noise Public Meeting Presentation - November 10, 2016
- Metroplex Community Outreach Notice (PDF) - from FAA for October & November 2016
- "Metroplex - An Update on SoCal Airspace Modernization" (PDF) from the October 12, 2016 LAX Roundtable Meeting
- Letter from FAA to MPK dated 9/1/16 (PDF) re: SoCal Metroplex Finding as of September 1, 2016
- LAX noise presentation (video) from the July 20, 2016 public meeting
- at the September 3, 2014 City Council meeting
- LAX slide presentation (PDF) on flight patterns and airplane noise from the September 3, 2014 City Council meeting.
- MPK-TV YouTube page (external site). from 1998-99 town hall meetings with the FAA, etc. on our
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) has previously provided an overview of the number of flights that extend over Monterey Park and the altitude. View statistics on flights online.
Community Noise Roundtable
LAWA provides a public forum to express concerns about airport operations at Community Noise Roundtable meetings that are held at the airport on a bimonthly basis. Visit the roundtable website for meeting info, agendas, recaps and presentation and correspondence documents.
Upcoming Roundtable Meetings:
Past Roundtable Meetings:
- TBD. Please check back later.
- Special Meeting: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 7 p.m. Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
- Regular meeting: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 7 p.m. Minutes (PDF)