Certificate of Occupancy

About the Certificate of Occupancy

The City of Monterey Park has a somewhat unique way of handling the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O). No building in the city is issued a C of O that gives a blanket approval to a whole host of businesses within a building code occupancy classification to move in. Instead, each business needs to obtain a separate C of O to occupy portion of a building.

Individually owned dwellings are exempt from the C of O requirement. The C of O for an apartment is issued to the landlord, and the C of O for a hotel is issued to the hotel operator. C of O for commercial buildings are issued to each individual tenants.

Renewal & Revisions

An initial C of O shall be obtained by each business as a prerequisite for business license application. It needs to be renewed (revised) when any of the following occurs:

  • Alteration to the building
  • Change of occupancy classification to the business operation
  • Change of the business tenant
  • Change of business ownership
  • Change of building ownership

Application Requirements

Applications are located at the Planning Division counter.

  • Once Planning has approved the use of the proposed business, you will then proceed to Building and Safety and the Fire Prevention Division to process the application and set up an appointment for inspection.
  • After the application has been approved by both Building and Safety and Fire Prevention, you will then take your agency approval form to the Licensing Division to apply for the business license.
  • The C of O must be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises at all times.
  • Removal or revocation of a C of O is a course for revocation of the business license.

Learn how to obtain a commercial business license in Monterey Park (PDF).