Reserve Firefighter Program
*The Reserve Firefighter position opens periodically based on the needs of the department. Please fill out an interest card by clicking on the link so we can notify you when the hiring process is initiated.
The Reserve Firefighter program is a volunteer position, required to work a minimum of one twenty-four-hour shift per week, assigned to the Fire Operations or Fire Prevention Division. The position is a temporary two year assignment that may be extended one additional year with Fire Chief Approval.
Under the general supervision of a Fire Captain, the Reserve Firefighter:
- Responds to alarms, rescues, other emergency calls.
- Assists in protecting life and property endangered by fire or other hazards.
- Administers first aid.
- Participates in fire prevention activities including inspecting commercial and residential structures.
- Participates in scheduled public relations activities.
- Participates in regular training, drills and study activities.
- Assists in maintenance of fire stations, fire apparatus and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Position requires heavy lifting, carrying, climbing, pushing, pulling, stooping, bending and exposure to extreme heat, flammable liquids, hazardous gases, smoke explosions, chemicals, electrical hazards, faulty structures and inclement weather.
- Possession of a California State Fire Marshall Firefighter 1 or completion of California State Accredited Fire Academy within the last two years or current enrollment in a California accredited Fire Academy
- Possession of a current CA State or Local County EMT accreditation (National Registry is not accepted)
- Valid CPR card
- Valid California Class C Drivers License
- At time of application, you must submit proof of passing either the C-PAT or Biddle physical agility test within the last 12 months
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of application
- Application (Those that meet the needs of the Fire Department will be invited to a mandatory orientation)
- Attend Mandatory Orientation (Pass/Fail based on attendance)
- Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
- Background Investigation
- Pre-Employment Medical Examination
- Upon successful completion of all portions of the selection process you will have orientation which will include uniform/turnout fitting and fill out paperwork that is required by Human Resources.
All Reserve Firefighters are subject to recall at any time and may be required to be on duty for any reasonable combination of hours in emergencies, may be assigned any necessary work duty and this position may work rotating shifts including weekends or holidays.